Jacquelin Branche, Department of Motor Vehicles
Ms Branche’s bio:
• Ms. Branche has been a nurse for 35 years and has worked in hospital settings, as an occupational health nurse, and at one time in her career, as a production supervisor.
• Ms. Branche currently works for the Department of Motor Vehicles and her nine year career with DMV began as a medical consultant and Division Manager to DMV’s Medical Review Services Work Center. She was the first nurse to be hired at the Virginia DMV in this capacity.
• Prior to her employment with DMV, the Medical Consultant position was held by a licensed medical doctor who reviewed and evaluated medical reports of impaired drivers.
• As the Medical Consultant and Division Manager of Medical Review Services, she worked closely with the DMV Medical Advisory Board of physicians, relying on their guidance and recommendations in resolving complex customer medical issues.
• When Ms. Branche assumed responsibility for Medical Review Services, it employed a small staff of clerical employees who lacked the benefit of medical training. In 2006, however, Ms. Branche recommended a plan to begin replacing the clerical staff with nurses. DMV’s Executive staff fully agreed with this recommendation and Ms. Branche was highly instrumental in implementing this recommendation.
• Today, thanks to Ms. Branche’s initiatives, DMV has a full staff of licensed nurses who evaluate incoming medical reports in determining a driver’s fitness to safely operate a motor vehicle.
• In her current capacity as DMV’s Healthcare Compliance Officer, Ms. Branche works closely with the medical community and the DMV Medical Advisory Board in an effort to identify ways that will allow individuals with medical conditions to continue driving as long as they can do so safely.
Click here to read the PDF version of Jacquelin’s PowerPoint presentation.